What can I do if I am a victim of identity theft?

  • Consider contacting a credit reporting agency to request a security freeze on your credit report. A security freeze protects against identity theft by making it more difficult for a thief to open a fraudulent account using your non-public personal information. Keep in mind that a security freeze on your credit report will not prevent a thief from making charges to your existing accounts.
  • If you choose not to request a security freeze on your credit report, consider requesting the credit reporting agency place a fraud alert on your credit reports. A fraud alert on your credit reports alerts users of credit reports, including potential creditors, to contact the consumer to confirm the identity of the person opening the new account or requesting credit.
  • Check your annual credit reports provided by the credit reporting agencies, Equifax, Experian and TransUnion, (free of charge) by visiting www.annualcreditreport.com. The accounts or activity presented in credit report that you do not recognize as yours could be an indicator that you are a victim of identity theft. For more information about what to do or how can you report a possible id theft, visit www.RobodeIdentidad.gov.
  • Access frequently and closely monitor your existing bank accounts and credit cards to identify and report transactions or charges that you do not recognize. Visit www.identitytheft.gov/robodedatos to learn more about how to protect yourself after a data security breach.

Need more help?

Call us at 787.724.3655 or contact us through the following form: