1. What is a contactless chip card?
- Is a chip card that has a near-field communication (NFC) antenna, enabling close-range payments. Transmits wirelessly, via radio frequency, the information necessary to make a transaction to merchants’ terminal or point of sale enabled with NFC technology.
- When you TAP your card near the contactless symbol of the checkout terminal, your payment is sent quickly and securely for authorization.
2. What is NFC technology?
Near Field Communication (NFC) is the technology that terminals or points of sale use to receive and process transactions with contactless cards or devices. It is identified with the symbol.
3. What are the benefits of contactless payments?
Speed and convenience. All you have to do is TAP with your card the terminal or point of sale where you see the symbol to make your payment.
4. Are contactless payments secure?
Yes. For various reasons:
- The financial industry uses advanced technologies on contactless cards, network and processing system to prevent fraud.
- Just like chip card transactions, contactless payments are secure because each transaction is accompanied by a one-time security code that authenticates each transaction.
- To process payments, your card must be within 1-2 inches of the contactless symbol on the terminal, so it is unlikely to pay accidentally.
- As with any credit card transaction, you are protected against unauthorized charges.
5. Does the antenna transmit my name or personal information during the transaction?
No, the antenna does not transmit any personal information.
6. Where can I pay with my contactless Popular card?
In places where you see the contactless symbol on the checkout terminal. Just look for the symbol at checkout and TAP your card to pay. Many merchants around the world accept contactless payments. If a store doesn’t have contactless readers, you can still swipe your card or use a chip reader. Please note that some merchants might have the contactless symbol on the terminal but might have not activated the software to enable contactless transactions.
7. How close does my contactless Popular card need to be to the contactless checkout terminal?
Your card must be within 1-2 inches of the contactless symbol on the terminal.
8. How do I hold my contactless Popular card to the checkout terminal?
Typically, the terminal reads the antenna best when the card is flat over the contactless symbol. However, some contactless readers will function best if you TAP the chip to the actual payment reader.
9. When exactly do I TAP to pay?
Once you are prompted to pay, by the cashier or the machine, simply TAP your card to the terminal where you see the Contactless Symbol.
10. Can I use my contactless Popular card even if I don’t see the contactless symbol?
Yes. If you don’t see the symbol, you can still use your card at an EMV chip terminal by inserting your card, or at a magnetic stripe terminal by swiping your card.
11. Are contactless cards as secure as chip cards?
Yes, contactless cards still have a chip. When used at a chip-enabled register, a unique code is created that changes each time the card is used.
12. Can contactless cards be used for online or over-the-phone purchases?
Yes. It still has a number, expiration date and security code like other cards.
13. Where can I use my contactless Popular card?
Worldwide. You can use your card at merchants around the world that accept contactless payments.
For more information Chat Online or call us at
Chat en línea, llámanos al 787.724.3650787.724.3650 or 1.888.724.36501.888.724.3650 for more information..